Saturday, March 14, 2009

Seattle Bicycle Expo

The Seattle International Bicycle Expo rolled into town today - presented by the Cascade Bicycle Club. I've attended this event for many years and back in my mountain bike club days, manned the BBTC booth a few times. My old mountain bike club pal, Scott Marlow, was the Marketing Director for Cascade for a few years. If I remember correctly, he mentioned 20,000 people attend this event. From the looks of today's crowd, I'd say the crowds have grown - it was jam packed.

Ian, Amy and I wandered the show for a few hours, giving mom a break from full time kid action. We had a good time, hot dogs included. Came home with the usual pile of catalogs, ride fliers and some stickers.

At the show, I met Maurice Tierney, Head Honcho from Dirt Rag magazine, one of my favorite mags. I scored a few bonus points and a Dirt Rag patch by wearing my Dirt Rag sweatshirt to the event. Dirt Rag has also recently launched new magazine called Bicycle Times - aimed at commuting and general transportation riding. Check out both publications - sort a 'zine that's grown up without losing the 'zine feel. They're great magazines with lots of reader submitted stories, photos and art work.

Even though I'm a race fan, occasionally dabble at racing (slowly) and love race bikes - road, 'cross and mountain - I've been psyched over all the utility, commuter and randonneur type bikes I've been seeing and reading about. These bikes makes sense and appeal towards real world use by normal folk, not just full fledged bike geeks. This needs to be the wave of the next bike boom and I think we're headed that way - I hope.

An example would be Civia, company based out of Minnesota, that produces commuter bikes. I talked to the sales guy for a bit, I wish these people success. Here's an example of what they do, that front rack is real cool.....




Moots makes rideable art out of titanium. The no nonsense look of their frames combined with unbelievable weld quality puts them on my favorite list. Here's their 'cross bike set up as a commuter....




Carbon Serotta set up as a randonneur style bike. I guess the giant handlebar bag protects the uh, flowers from the breeze....



This is just plain wacky. Dig the windshield wiper. Maybe you could sell ice cream out of it....




Expo also included a vintage display with some nice bikes out. Like this Schwinn Paramount.....



Old Gios and Eddy Merckx bikes included. Both are classics that I'd would love to see my garage.....




Don't remember the make of this vintage deal - check out the split seat tubes to allow tucked in rear wheel....




Okay, back to modern - yet old school frames. I talked with Andy Newlands, one man show behind Strawberry Bicycles. This guy has been putting out nice frames for 35+ years. If I were to purchase a custom frame, he'd be on my list. This was my favorite frame of the show....




Don't know the story on this, but it appears to be a new Moulton style frame. Wild. Sorta reminds me of a mini Ducati motorcycle frame.....




I've talked to the people at Co-Motion at a few shows and really like their bikes. Here's their new 26" wheel touring bike. Looks like an old school, drop bar mountain bike, but that's not really the intent. Shorten the chainstays, cruise eBay for a Tioga disk wheel, throw on a suspension fork and pretend you're John Tomac from the '90s.....




Overall, not a bad way to spend the afternoon. Saw some cool stuff, met some nice people, spent time with the kids, mingled with the bicycle subculture - always a good thing.

This concludes my official Bike Expo report. Not exactly like being there - but better then being nowhere. Whatever that means.

Tune in next time. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

1 comment:

  1. Excuse the pics that won't open to viewable size when double clicked - something went goofy during the upload - which took multiple attempts. At least now you can't really see how blurry the pics actually are.

    Too much hassle to upload 'em again. Now I know why the Amish are ahead. Technology is evil.

    ReplyDelete