Sunday, November 18, 2012

1982 Miyata Pro - Vintage Goodness

Like the Camaro you wanted in high school, the bike geek version from my bike shop era - the '82 Miyata Pro - this one spotted on eBay.  And Holy Suntour Superbe Batman, this one is a keeper.  Appears to be the garage queen with little use or wear.  Sweet.

Alas, 63cm frame way too big for me, so no need to explain to the family why I need a vintage Miyata hanging in the garage.  This one going in the $790 - $990 range, not exactly chump change.  Curious to watch the bidding action over the next few days.

I'll just admire from afar, pics borrowed from eBay listing...
















I'll keep my eBay search alive.  I'd like to score just a clean frame set - as to not feel guilty pulling off vintage parts - then replace with something along the lines of modern Ultegra or Chorus.  Mixture of Old 'N' New, that be a very cool steed indeed, standing out in a sea of modern carbon.  True?

3 comments:

  1. Very very nice...........!!!!
    I would buy it...I want it!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fiance has a pro-miyata (that looks exactly like that one) that has been sitting in my garage for six months. He fixed it up a while ago, but the wheels he put on were not the right size and kept popping on our long rides. I want to fix it up for our anniversary in two weeks, but have no idea what size wheel I need to buy. Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hilary. When you say "popping on long rides" - are you referring to getting a flat due to the tires "popping" off the rims? The Miyata Pro uses 700c sized wheels and tires. Even though vintage, all standard sized stuff.

    If purchasing new wheels, would require 700c as noted, however the rear hub would probably be 126mm, depending on how old it is. Later, road bikes now use a 130mm spaced hub (with a 700c rim). Any modern 700c tire should fit your current wheels. 700x23 or 700x25.

    Any decent bike shop should be able to get it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete